It is the responsibility of each User to ensure that usage falls within the scope outlined in the Scope of Resource Usage section of this document. Some examples of unacceptable uses are, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Resources may not be used for personal business ventures. This means users may not offer, provide or purchase personal products or services for commercial purposes through the Universitys Resources. Commercial or personal advertisements are strictly prohibited on the Universitys Resources.
2. Users may not use the Universitys Resources for political lobbying. However, users may use the Resources to communicate with elected officials and may express to them their opinion on political issues, provided, however, in such instances, users expressly state that their opinions are personal, and do not represent the opinions of Cumberland. This provision does not apply to administrators acting pursuant to authorization of the Universitys President.
3. Plagiarism of others work is unacceptable and those who use the expressions of others as their own will be subject to disciplinary action. Respect for intellectual labor and creativity is vital. Because electronic information is easily reproduced, respect for the work and personal expression of others is critical. Violations including copying and using the work of another person as a users own are prohibited. If a user is unsure whether or not he or she can use a work, the user should request permission from the copyright owner or contact IT.
4. Users will not reproduce or allow others to reproduce copyrighted material in any form without proper authorization, or not in keeping with the Universitys copyright regulations or federal and state laws.
5. Users will not use software that allows for the direct sharing of music, movies, games, and software over the Internet when such peertopeer file sharing contains copyrighted works without the permission of the copyright holder.
6. Users will not attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Resources or to any other computer system through this network. This includes attempting to log in through another persons account or access another persons file. These actions are illegal, even if only for the purpose of browsing.
7. Any unauthorized, deliberate action that damages or disrupts a Resource, alters the normal performance of said Resource, or causes it to malfunction is a violation of policy regardless of system location or time duration. User will be financially responsible for such damage. This includes, but is not limited to the spread of computer viruses and worms. These actions are illegal. This also includes the unintentional spread of a virus when doing other activities which are prohibited in this policy.
8. Users may not send spam or create or retransmit chains in email messages.
9. Users may not send email from another users account.
10. Users may not alter the header of an email message to prevent the recipient from determining the actual sender of the email.
11. Users may not log into or use any computer account or access, modify or create any files without the account owners permission.
12. Users may not transmit, without authorization, information proprietary to Cumberland or information that could be construed as a statement of official University policy, position, or attitude.
13. Users may not intercept network traffic without authorization.
14. Any attempts to violate the security of the Universitys computer Resources are prohibited. Any user identified by IT as a security risk or as having a history of problems with the Universitys computer Resources may be denied user privileges.
15. The copying of system files is prohibited. The copying of copyrighted materials, such as third party software, without the express written permission of the owner or without the proper license, is prohibited.
16. Decoding or attempting to decode system or user passwords is prohibited. Users are also prohibited from sharing their password with other people or allowing anyone to use a computer logged in under their login; doing so will result in the loss of network privileges.
17. Intentional attempts to crash Resources are prohibited.
18. Attempts to secure a higher level of privilege on the Universitys Resources are prohibited. Users are prohibited from using any type of hacker tools to try to break into the system, either on campus or from a remote site. Any attempt to circumvent firewall filtering is prohibited.
19. Users of the Universitys Resources will not use obscene, profane, lewd, vulgar, rude, inflammatory, threatening, disrespectful or otherwise objectionable language.
20. Users may not visit nor download materials from any site that contains offensive, obscene or immoral pictures (i.e., pornography and nude photos), profane language, or any other material inappropriate for an educational setting. Neither shall users access material that advocates illegal acts, violence or discrimination towards other people (i.e., hate literature).
21. Users will not use any method to bypass the Universitys selected filtering process.
22. The Universitys Resources will not be used in any immoral or unethical manner.
23. Users will not engage in personal attacks, including prejudicial or discriminatory attacks. Harassment is not permitted. Harassment is defined as persistently acting in a manner that causes distress or annoys another person.
24. Users will not knowingly or recklessly post false or defamatory information about a person or group.
25. Users will not repost material that was sent to him or her privately without permission of the person who sent the material.
26. Users will not post private information or details about another person.
27. Deletion, examination, copying or modification of files and/or data belonging to others is prohibited.
28. Disk space usage is controlled on the network. User storage is limited. Users should not use their assigned space for longterm storage of information or programs. Files that are not a part of the operating system or utility software may be routinely removed from the drive without warning. Student files may be deleted at the end of each academic year. Email mailboxes that are above the Universitys storage limit may be permanently deleted at any time during the semester.
29. Cumberland University IT can and will delete any files that appear suspicious or inappropriate such as questionable pictures, cartoons or movie clips.