To Home Page To Home Page
General Description
Policy Provisions
Performance Evaluation
Subject Experts
Classification of Students, Terms, and Courses

Document Number: ACAD--128 Revision #: 1.0
Document Owner: Executive VP Date Last Updated: 09/27/2013
Primary Author: VP for Academic Affairs Status: Approved
Date Originally Created: 12/08/2011

General Description

Information about classification of students, terms, and courses relative to Academic Affairs policy.


Delineation of policy.


All Departments and/or Department heads, All faculty, staff, students, and administrators

Responsibility: Academic Affairs
VP for Academic Affairs
VP for Academic Affairs

Back to Top

Relevant Knowledge: In order to comply with this policy you should know:
Current University policy
Federal statutes
Standard company policies
Standards of good practice
State statutes

Terms and Definitions: Additional training

Corrective Action

Loss of privilege, general

Back to Top

Policy Provisions

Classification of Students, Terms, and Courses


Full-Time Student

A full-time undergraduate student is one who has been accepted by the University and who is enrolled for 12 or more semester credit hours in the fall, spring, and/or summer semester. Full-time academic loads in fall, spring, or summer semesters may not exceed 18 total semester hours without written permission from the Dean of the School. Enrollment in at least six semester hours during any grading period of the summer term is classified as a full academic load. Full-time status is determined by summing all semester hours during the grading periods assigned to the appropriate semester.



Part-Time Student

A part-time student is enrolled in fewer than 12 total undergraduate hours in the fall, spring, or summer semesters.



Special Student

A special student is a non-degree seeking person who has been given permission to enroll by the Admissions Committee.



Transient Student

A transient student is defined as a student who seeks:

1. To enroll at another college/university for credit to be transferred to Cumberland University, or

2. To enroll at Cumberland University to have academic course work transferred to another college/university.


Students requesting transient permission must file the request in writing stating the desired transient institution, the specific courses at the transient institution, the calendar term the course will be taken, and the equivalent Cumberland University courses. If permission is granted, a “Letter of Transient Permission” becomes part of the permanent record file of the student and a copy of the letter will be provided to the student as proof of transient permission. Any course work completed without first having prior written approval may not be used as academic credit toward a Cumberland University degree. All course work

grades approved by the Dean of the appropriate School for transient permission will be calculated as part of the cumulative Cumberland University grade point average. The calculation will not be figured in until the final GPA for graduation is determined. The student is responsible for completing all admissions and/or other enrollment requirements at the transient institution and for having the transient institution forward an official transcript to Cumberland University upon completion of the approved coursework.



Regular Term

Cumberland University has three regular terms that are used to determine the academic calendar. They are fall semester, spring semester, and summer semester. All students must conform to the deadlines and procedures outlined in the Cumberland University Register/Timetable.



Non-Regular Term

Non-regular terms, off-campus classes, or accelerated terms may be deemed appropriate by the administration. In isolated circumstances, financial assistance may not be available due to federal or state guidelines. Students should check with the Office of Student Financial Services before registering for a non-regular term class. Course fees, other charges, and regulations will be published before the beginning of each of the non-regular terms.



Lower Division Courses

Courses numbered at the 090 (developmental), 100, or 200 level are lower division courses.



Upper Division Courses

Courses numbered at the 300 or 400 level are upper division courses.



Graduate Division Courses

Courses numbered at the 500 level are graduate division courses. Information on graduate degree programs is located in the Graduate section of this catalog.


Back to Top

Performance Evaluation
Performance Metrics: Compliance with standard policy and procedure
Compliance with federal mandate

Consequences: Further training
Loss of privileges

Back to Top

Subject Experts
The following may be consulted for additional information.
VP for Academic Affairs

VP for Academic Affairs

Back to Top

This page created 10/30/2014 using Zavanta® version 6.0