Located on the west end of the first floor of Memorial Hall, this former gymnasium was renovated in the 1930s by Walter Jackson Baird in memory of his wife, Ethel Bouton Baird. Baird Chapel features an elegant Art Nouveau ceiling, portraits of individuals important to Cumberland University history, the mechanicals for the Cooksey Carillon, and a beautiful stained-glass window depicting the symbol of the Phoenix. In 1999, Baird Chapel underwent extensive restoration made possible by grants from the Tennessee Historical Commission and the Cracker Barrel Old Country Store Foundation. Baird Chapel has a seating capacity of two hundred (200) and has been used as a banquet hall for conferences, wedding receptions, the site of weddings and as a University and community assembly and lecture hall.
A signed facility agreement and a non-refundable deposit of 50% is required to guarantee a reservation. Balance and applicable sales tax is due seven (7) days prior to the scheduled event. The use of alcohol requires written permission from the University. A Request for Alcohol Form must be completed, approved and a fee of $200.00 will be charged. Cumberland University will supply Security for the event.
As of January 2011, catering will be exclusive with Chartwells Compass Catering, our food provider on campus.
For rental pricing and available dates, contact the Dean of Students at 615-547-1387. All decorating plans must be submitted for approval to the Dean of Students.
*Cumberland does not furnish linens. Chapel floor area = 47 x 65 Stage area = 12 x 23